What’s the difference between a successful real estate agent and one who struggles? First of all, being self-motivated is a big part of the puzzle. You also need to love what you’re doing, be a good listener and be organized.
What else should an agent know in order to be at the top of his or her game? Here’s a list of Top 10 things that will help get you there:
- You must pay attention to detail and be resourceful. Make sure you’re never late for appointments and return calls and emails promptly. Also, take great pictures of the home and be creative with your listings.
- Know the area and have a good track record at selling other properties nearby. If you’re new at real estate, learn all you can about the neighborhood and wow them with details.
- Be technologically savvy. Sellers want someone who keeps up with the latest aps, gadgets, social media, etc., because it shows they’re motivated and current. If you don’t know it, learn it!
- Be polite but never afraid to be aggressive. Act as if the home you’re representing were your own and really sell it – sellers want someone who’s tough and willing to go the extra mile.
- Show that you’re well connected and that you work with a reputable agency that has a great record. When you meet a client bring with you a list of prospective buyers.
- Be tenacious. Nobody wants an agent who gives up easily so be determined and persistent. If you show a house, follow up immediately and show the prospective buyer that you’re not shy about hard work.
- Honesty is indeed the best policy – and it matters plenty to a seller.
Always be truthful, sincere and up front with your client – even if you have to tell them things they don’t want to hear. It’s much better to tell them if the price they’ve set is too high immediately than to waste their time and yours.
- Make a great impression. Be outgoing, confident and always look your best. Someone selling their home wants an agent who’s always on top of their game with a likable personality. A likable, professional agent scores big points with sellers and buyers alike!
- Last, but certainly not least, you can’t shy away from hard work. If you want to be a successful real estate agent, you’re going to have to be willing to put in the time, be determined and set and reach goals.
If you’re able to follow these guidelines, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a successful real estate agent.